Principal Physics Engineer
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you’re a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon Technologies you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon Technologies.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
Raytheon Intelligence & Space is seeking a Principal Physics Engineer. The person in this position will contribute to multiple programs in an expert technical advisory role to facilitate problem solving. This person will assume technical leadership of peer groups and provide technical mentoring to programs as stray light optical specialty subject matter expert to:
- Translate program requirements into performance based hardware requirements
- Perform analysis and modeling of stray light in optical systems
- Provide optical design engineering and manufacturing support for stray light control
- Establish stray light requirements and verification plans
- Analyze complex Visible and Infrared electro-optical systems for undesirable optical effects due to propagation of light through opto-mechanical system.
- Generate preliminary baffle designs and select optical component materials
- Analyze simple and complex electro-optical systems for stray light paths, scattered energy, pupil control, and radiometric performance.
- Create accurate opto-mechanical models of light sources, optical surfaces, optical coatings/materials, and structural materials
- Generate requirements for particulate and molecular levels, surface roughness/scatter, scratch/dig, material emissivity, baffle edges and location,
- Perform non-sequential ray tracing, laser beam propagation, polarization, diffraction, coherent and non-coherent
- Verify performance utilizing in-house, industry, and government test facilities
- Exhibit current expertise with analysis programs such as FRED or Zemax OpticStudio
This person will support the development and flow down of systems requirements, as well as participate in the requirements, development, implementation and validation of test equipment. This person will work among engineering disciplines to coordinate use of test equipment during test and the development of procedures for assembly and test of flight hardware.
This person will be performing the lead system engineering analyst role for a highly complex optical system; responsible for analyzing requirements and documenting and, in many cases, negotiating, derived flow-down and interface requirements. This is not only technically highly challenging, but is made even more challenging as the team balances cost, schedule and quality. At all times this person will maintain a highly rigorous approach to validation of requirements for the customer.
The selected candidate will be responsible for the development of advanced Electro-Optical Infrared and Visible Imaging Sensor Systems for use in airborne and space applications. This person will utilize experience in space based infrared and visible imaging hardware to improve design and development cycle times. This person will be responsible for design, integration and testing of advanced optical imaging telescopes and associated hardware, and perform complex critical alignments, testing and troubleshooting of refractive and reflective optical assemblies. This person will perform radiometric and line-of-sight analyses and budget allocations. This person will generate radiometric error budgets and calibration procedures, and operate within an optical measurement and integration laboratory environment.
- Expertise in stray light analysis
- Expertise in Fred and/or Zemax OpticStudio
- Knowledge of optical testing techniques and model verification
- Experience in coherent beam propagation and lasers
- Experience with Matlab or a similar type mathematical modeling program
- Experience with airborne and/or space imaging systems
- Experience with technical presentations
- Ability to develop cost and schedule estimates
- US Citizenship is required as this position will require a Secret clearance within 1st year of employment
- Experience with other optical propagation and modeling tools (Code V, Zemax, etc.)
- Experience with product development
- Other optical skills such as alignment and wavefront testing
- Understanding of general optical measurement tools
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to present data to management and customers
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering or Physics or equivalent
- Advanced degree in Engineering or Physics with an emphasis in Optics and/or Lasers
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence & Space delivers the disruptive technologies our customers need to succeed in any domain, against any challenge. A developer of advanced sensors, training, and cyber and software solutions, Raytheon Intelligence & Space provides a decisive advantage to civil, military and commercial customers in more than 40 countries around the world. Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, the business generated $15 billion in pro forma annual revenue in 2019 and has 39,000 employees worldwide. Raytheon Intelligence & Space is one of four businesses that form Raytheon Technologies Corporation.
Type Of Job
TX - McKinney
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon Technologies? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Felicia Jackson belongs to Raytheon Technologies' employee group for veterans and those who support them. After 24 years in the Air Force, she started a new career at Raytheon Technologies. "I wanted to go where people would support me," she told us.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon Technologies supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon Technologies, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon Technologies offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).
- Manager II-Program Management Largo, St. Petersburg, North Andover, Billerica, Burlington, Marlborough, Tewksbury, Forest, Nashua, Dallas, McKinney
- Principal Financial Analyst McKinney
- Principal Electrical Engineer - FPGA Design Dallas, McKinney
- Supply Chain and Operations Intern - SOPHOMORE El Segundo, Goleta, Largo, Fort Wayne, Marlborough, Forest, Dallas, McKinney, Dulles
- Physics Engineer II McKinney
- Senior Procurement Specialist McKinney