Data Science & Machine Learning Research Engineer
Gloucester, United Kingdom
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you’re a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon Technologies you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon Technologies.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
Part of Raytheon UK’s Cyber and Intelligence (C&I) business, the Strategic Research Group (SRG) is a multi-disciplinary expert team focused on next-gen research in artificial intelligence, security research and cloud technology.
SRG is not yet another software team building enterprise solutions. The group operate at the cutting edge of technology and research, applying world class research to customer-relevant challenges in order to create unique prototypes, genuine expertise and valuable hands-on skills.
Established in Jan 2019, SRG was created to focus Raytheon’s efforts on next-generation technologies critical to create the future capabilities our customers demand. In the short time since the group was established, greats success - both technically and commercially - has been achieved.
As a result of these successes, SRG is seeking to grow, allowing the group to tackle more challenges and deliver further successes.
What makes SRG different?
SRG is an expert group, made of a team of people with broad skills, expertise and experience. The team includes post-doctorate researchers, experienced data scientists and engineers with customer knowledge, security research and machine learning expertise.
SRG’s culture sets it apart from many other teams. It is vital to how the group operates and to its success.
SRG values creating and sharing tangible results over creating overly detailed plans and excessive PowerPoint presentations. The team deliver a mix of internally funded research and customer funded projects.
SRG work on a ‘cloud first’ basis - AWS, Atlassian, GitHub, Slack are main productivity tools.
SRG is collaborative, supportive and independent. Above all, every member of the group strives to delight and impress our stakeholders, taking great pride in their work.
Data Science & Machine Learning Research Engineer
Location - Gloucester
Essential Behaviours & Attitude
- Hands-on experience designing, creating, building and operating complex software systems.
- Strong experience with modern software engineering approaches and best practices.
- Able to tailor written and verbal communication to a wide range of audiences including technical authors, customers, conferences and public events.
- Successful examples of conference speaking, customer engagement and managerial presentations.
- Work with autonomy, able to build trusted relationships and rapidly establish a reputation for enthusiasm, delivery and reliability.
- Must be able to demonstrate clear examples of providing support to team members and colleagues
- Track record of creating a collaborative working ethos within a team or organisation.
- Must be able to stay goal focused, regardless of blockers, obstacles or wider issues both in personal work and within the wider team.
- Ability to work in new disciplines as a non-expert within expert teams is essential.
- Willingness and energy to learn new topics, new concepts and new skills in order to facilitate collaboration and solve problems.
Core Technical Skills
- Solid technical and research foundation, either academic or professional track record in technology, research and early-stage development.
- Strong knowledge of core machine learning models, algorithms and techniques.
- Good skills - or demonstrable ability to rapidly learn - standard data science toolset including Python, sckitlearn, Jupyter, Apache Spark and the wider Hadoop eco-system
- Track record rapidly creating early-stage prototypes under uncertainty
- Proven ability to create software artefacts using modern software engineering best practices where appropriate
SRG welcomes individuals with a broad range of experiences, diverse careers and technical qualifications. Such diversity of thought is an asset, and as such, broad career experience is valuable:
- Professional certification in AWS Machine Learning or Solutions Architecture, Cloudera Data Scientist or other technologies.
- Specialist knowledge in automated reasoning, computer vision, natural language understanding, predictive analytics, behavioural analytics or any other applied machine learning domain
- Experience creating and deploying production-grade machine learning workloads in a Hadoop eco-system (either on-prem or public cloud)
- Experience working in the Defence and National Security domain, in particular direct experience working with UK Government customers.
- Evidence of proactive self-development and self-directed learning in particular Kaggle participation
- Research credentials, either academic or professional, to evidence ability to innovate and contribute new results to the scientific literature.
Natural Language Processing
Research & Development
Type Of Job
United Kingdom - Gloucester
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon Technologies? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Felicia Jackson belongs to Raytheon Technologies' employee group for veterans and those who support them. After 24 years in the Air Force, she started a new career at Raytheon Technologies. "I wanted to go where people would support me," she told us.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon Technologies supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon Technologies, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon Technologies offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).
- Head of Space and Airborne United Kingdom, Broughton, Gloucester, Harlow
- Head of Engineering - Cyber, Space and Training (CST) United Kingdom, Broughton, Gloucester, Greater Manchester
- Head of SCM - CST United Kingdom, Broughton, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Harlow
- Head of Commercial - CST United Kingdom, Gloucester, Harlow
- Head of Finance- CST United Kingdom, Broughton, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Harlow
- Solution Architect (Contract) Gloucester, Harlow, Greater Manchester